Search This Blog

Friday, July 30, 2010

That's a wrap

There is something about blog posts that encourages introspection.  This is probably no different to the keeping of a hard-copy "dear diary", but I have never thought to put pen to paper in such a way.

I have always been dumbstruck when I have encountered people who have, for years or decades of their life, been keeping a daily diary.  Where do they find the time or motivation?   I can see some merit though. It is a very good way of ordering your thoughts and cutting through to the essence of things.

I have taken several other experiences from this course that will likely carry over into my academic life.   Aside from the sheer fun of playing with web gadgetry (which naturally appeals to me), I think the biggest lessons have been those relating to how all this stuff fits into:

a) educational theory as it relates to effective learning.
b) broader social and generational issues of web and information technologies for adults more broadly.

I remain torn apart by opposing forces.  Attracted by the whiz-bang sparkles and the knowledge that these things can really bridge distances and bring people together.  Repelled at the same time by the pace and relentlessness and the upheaval of it all.

But this is probably just as it should be.  Technology is neutral. Science is neutral.  It is up to our civilised brains to put this all to good use, and keep a little calm and rational in the process.

I look forward to hearing how others that have undertaken this course go on to apply the principles in their programmes.  Thank you to Matthew and to all my fellow students.

No comments:

Post a Comment